SAINT JAMES, STAUNTON
Staunton is half of the "combined village" of Staunton and Corse. It lies 7 miles North West of Gloucester and within easy reach of Tewkesbury, Newent and Ledbury. The village has a mixture of housing comprising some Chartist cottages dating from the 1830s alongside newer bungalows, a development of houses built in the last 20 years and two or three farms. The population of the village is around 550.
St. James' Church is located about 1/2 mile from the centre of the village in the grounds of Staunton Court. It overlooks a fishing lake and some very attractive old buildings which have recently been restored. The Church dates from Norman times and still retains some of the original stonework and has interesting memorials inside the Church.
Inside, at the east end of the north aisle is a monument to William Horton, who died in 1612, with kneeling figures of himself, wife, three sons and three daughters. The sons kneel behind the father and the daughters behind the mother, all facing in the same direction. His wife is a direct descendant of Dick Whittington, and Whittington is believed to have started his journey to London from the steps of Staunton Court, opposite the church.
The yew tree in the churchyard adjacent to the bell tower is certified as being over 2000 years old and is a rare specimen of a male yew tree.
Contacts: Churchwardens Susan Bell, Malcom Harley (01452 840391) or Rector Revd John Longuet-Higgins (01452 700965) email@example.com.