Go back to normal view
Welcome to the St James Church, Staunton, General Information Page.
Services are normally held three times per month as follows:
First Sunday of the month: Holy Communion at 9.30am
Alternate second Sunday of the month: Family Service at 9.30am shared jointly with Corse Church.
Fourth Sunday of the month: Holy Communion (BCP Said) at 8.30am
On months with five Sundays a united service for all the parish churches is held on the final Sunday. The location is published in the parish magazine and on the church notice board.
The exception is the month of August when just one united service is held each Sunday within the Benefice to account for people on holiday. Please refer to the parish magazine for details.
The Churchwarden is Mr Malcolm Harley. Telephone 01452 840391.
The church is located off the A417 in the west of the parish, next to Staunton Court.
Inside, at the east end of the north aisle is a monument to William Horton, who died in 1612, with kneeling figures of himself, wife, three sons and three daughters. The sons kneel behind the father and the daughters behind the mother, all facing in the same direction. His wife is a direct descendant of Dick Whittington, and Whittington is believed to have started his journey to London from the steps of Staunton Court, opposite the church.
The yew tree in the churchyard adjacent to the bell tower is certified as being over 2000 years old and is a rare specimen of a male yew tree.